1 – For Israelites, going to Egypt, it seemed like a normal migration for many people just to survive but, this will be only the beginning of a very long story.
- The story, is about 450 years long , ending with a very long exodus that will take the Israelites back to the promised land, to start the preparation for the coming of Jesus and, the creation of the new people of Israelites, now called Christians, the natural descendants of Abraham… Judah…
The last exodus, will end with eternal life.
2 – I am Joseph… His brothers could not answer… They were terrified.
Don’t grieve and reproach yourselves for selling me because God has sent me before you, to save your lives. Gen.45,3-8.
- Go back to my father and tell him to come down to me without delay. w9.13
- Joseph, gave to his brothers : wagons, provisions, festal garments… 45,21-24.
- Jacob was stunned,for he could not believe that Joseph was still alive…
At the end Jacob said : I will go and see Joseph before I die. 45,25-28.
- Israel left with all he owned. 46,1.
3 – If you would gain a friend begin by testing him…
For there is the friend who is such when it suits him… but he does not remain faithful in the time of your adversity. Sir.6,7-8.
- Joseph can teach us the meaning of real friendship and love.
* – In the B. there are many passages talking about love, forgiveness and fraternal correction.
- The first commandment is to love God and neighbor.
Mt.22,36-40 ; Jn.13,34-5 ; 15,12 ; 1Jn.4,7-21.
- Fraternal correction must be done with love. Mt.17,3 ; 18,15 ; Gal.6,1.
- Why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye and… not see the plank in our own eye. Mt.7,3.
4 –Joseph told his brothers, leaving to Canaan, don’t quarrel.Gen.45,24.
Quarrel, is not a dream but, the reality of our daily life.
- If you bite and tear each other to pieces, be careful lest you all perish.
I say to you : walk according to the Spirit and do not give way to the desire of the flesh. Gal.5,15-16.
- Cardinal Virtues are Faith, Hope and Love. The greatest is love.1Cor.13,13
- If you are about to offer your gift and you remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar, go and make peace with him and then come back and offer your gift to God.Mt.5,24
- Clothe yourselves as is fitting for God’s chosen people.
Put on compassion, kindness, humility meekness and patience to bear with one another and forgive whenever there is any occasion to do.Col.3,12-13.
- Carry each other’s burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ. Gal.6,2
- You should all be of one mind : share each other’s troubles with mutual affection, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil for evil. 1Pt.3,8
- Above all let your love for one another be sincere.
Love covers a multitude of sins…Welcome one another into your house…
Serve one another. 1Pt.4,8
- The community of be believers was one in heart and mind. Acts 4,32.
5 – These passages, teach us that love is a wonderful theory.
- Angels, refused God’s love. Cain, killed his brother Abel.
- Abraham separated from Lot. Jacob deceived the father, Esau and Laban.
- The Hebrews will complained against Moses. Ex.18,13-27.
- Sunnites are against Shiites. Catholic separated by Protestants.
-Super powers are spending billions for deadly weapons.
- When Peter, came to Antioch, I Paul confronted him. Gal.2,11
- Satan against Jesus… believers…
- Let this be the only debt of one to another : Love. Rm.13,8.
- The perfect love will be in heaven only.
6 – The fruits of the Spirit are perfections that the Holy Spirit forms in us as the first fruits of eternal glory : Charity – joy – peace – patience – kindness
– goodness – generosity – gentleness – faithfulness – modesty – self control
– chastity. Gal.5,22-23.
* God created us without us but he did not will to save us without us. ccc.1847
7 – God, Our Father, is willing to give his life to us, every day, now through the Eucharist and in the future with the eternal life but, at one condition, that we forgive each other. Mt.5,24 ; Mk.11,25 ; Col.3,12-13.
- The one who hates his brother is a murderer. Jn.3,15
- The real sacrifice consists not in the quantity but in the quality of our offering as the poor widow did, giving just a small coins. Mk.12,41-44.
8 –Joseph was a rich and privileged son… With special gifts from God…
Was sold as slave… Was in prison... Became a powerful man…
He could become arrogant… despot… sinner…
But he chose to be humble to forgive and to serve the needy.
- No one, without a pure mind and imitation of the Saints, will ever grasp the words of the Saints. St.G.B. Jan.20
- We should never disregard nor go against any virtue so as not cause harm to an enterprise. St. G.B. Jan.29.
* We can conclude with this prayer : O God, who have laid down by your precept of charity that we should love those who afflict us, grant that we may follow the command of the new law, striving to return good for evil and bearing one another’s burdens. Amen.