1 –In Hebrew language there are 3 important words
Mizmor = Psalm . Tadah to praise and Todah praise.
- For many person to pray is just to ask something from God, but, the first purpose of any prayer should be to praise and to thank as Jesus taught us in the prayer Our Father. Ccc. 2759 – 2865.
2 –Prayer should be done with faith, humble heart, frequent, together, asking forgiveness, to be free from our sins… love. Ccc.2558-2758
- We pray not to force God to do our will but to do his will.
To be transformed in Jesus, to know his will, taking away any obstacle, and sin, to dispose our spirit to receive what God wants to give us.
3 – Gen.18,1-33 describes the meeting of Abraham with
( 3 persons. W.2 ?
One person. W.17 ? . 2 persons. 19,1 ? )… God ? Trinity ?
- God is always willing to meet us if the door of our heart is opened. Rv.3,20
And if we are ready to cooperate with his plan of salvation.
* Plan of salvation and Kingdom of God it is justice , peace and joy. Rm.14,17
4 – “ Can I conceal from Abraham what I am about to do ?...
Abraham, is going to become a great nation and through him
all the nations will be blessed ”… Gen.1817-18
- God can do anything but he asks for the joyful cooperation of mankind.
- Abraham RAN to meet them W.2 … He Hurried into the tent. W.6
Sarah quick take three measures of flour 36 kg. W.6…
Abraham ran to the herd had took a tender calf. W.7…
The servant hurried to prepare it. W.7… Ran… hurry… quick
- We cannot serve God with laziness. We have to prepare everything in abundance and offer our cooperation with enthusiasm… joy… love.
5 – The most important teachings of this story are how to serve God
And how we should talk with God, through our prayers.
- Our prayer must be humble but fervent.
- We should praise God and pray for others… Sodom…. Gen.18,22-32.
- We must believe that God is always ready to help us if we ask for something that is good for our spiritual and physical requirements.
- Prayer must be constant, not because God is busy but, because WE have to prepare our spirit to receive with gratitude what God is willing to give us.
6 – Abraham started his prayer with a very strong exhortation…
- “ Will you, God, really let the just perish with the wicked ”. W.23 ?
- Perhaps there are 50 - 45 - 40 - 30 - 20 - 10 good people in the town ?
- God’s answer was : “ I will not destroy Sodom… and the sinners…
If in the town there are 10 good persons… ”.
- The authors want to teach us how important is the prayer and how the prayer of a good person can save the life of many other sinners.
- In the past the smallest number for the liturgical prayer was 10
* Jesus said that if 2-3 persons are united asking for anything
God will be with them and will be granted. Mt.18,19-20
* But the sinless Jesus, even alone, can forgive the sins of all. Lk.23,39-43
7 – For a good prayer we need a humble heart like the publican. Lk.18,10
- The prayer can be done for any kind of requirements :
To praise God… Asking for faith… obedience…forgiveness… humility… justice… health… healing… peace… comfort…
* We have to transform our life in prayer. Pray as if everything depended on God and work as if everything depended on you. Ccc.2834
- Jesus, knows our weakness, problems,sins, and is always ready to help us, if we ask for something good, for our physical and spiritual life.
8 – The silent God . Sometimes we fill that God is not listening to us.
- But God is like a very good mother, she knows what can be useful or dangerous for her son so, she will give to the baby not snake… not stones Mt.7,7-10 or what can be harmful… 2Cor.12,7 ; Rm.8,26-27.
- Ephphetha. Mk.7,31-37 ; Is.65,24 ; Mt.6,8. Our heart can be close.
9 – The B. more than 1.000 times speaks about prayer. Ccc.2562…
- The B. is a long prayer, it means, that God is talking to us. Ccc.2566
We should listen ( shema ) and be ready to cooperate with God. 2653.
10 – In the B. there are many kinds of prayer :
- Prayer of Abraham. Gen.12,4 ; 15,2-3 ; 18,23-33.
- Moses’ prayer, asking forgiveness for the sin of idolatry. Ccc.2574-77.
- David’s prayer for repentance after the adultery. Ccc.2578-2584.
- Job’s prayer, was in favor of the good man that was suffering.
- Psalms prayers 2598-2622 that should be done in the community.Acts1,14
- Jesus and Christian Prayer . Ccc. 2598-2625
11 – Any kind of prayer , but specially the Eucharistic one, if it is well done and from the heart, must improve the spiritual life and our behavior.
-The people in the O.T. taught that, God was cruel, deaf, far from us but, after praying they understood that God was very near, was compassionate, forgiving, merciful and lovable Father.
12 – The best example how to pray we can find is Jesus Christ…
- He used to pray at any time… in the morning and evening…
Mt.1,35 ; 14,23 ; 6,45 ; Lk.3,21 ; 5,16 ; 6,12 ; 9,18 ; 9,28 ; 11,1
- Numerous are the teachings and examples of Saints about prayer.
13 – St .Gaspar Bertoni - Hospitality is to be shown to any person who come to visit us with all signs and actions of benevolence and charity . Febr,20 .
- He who began and inspired the work will also bring it to fulfillment provided we do not place obstacle in the way. Febr.21 - We should not anticipate the will of God so as not to confuse the work of man with that of God. Febr.22